Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing #8

RSS was interesting. What I liked was its handiness and ease of use. It lends itself to being customized to everyone's interests and/or needs. Google has made it easy and quick to set up, important for people in a hurry (such as educators).

I can see teachers using RSS feeds to stay up to date on new ideas in websites they use to teach and develop their lesson plans.

I will further be pursuing some of my own personal interests in a couple of blogs I added to my Google Reader site. One of those blogs brings together people who have an interest in Tudor history. People post questions (some of them bizarre, but all interesting) about the various Tudors, and they are answered. Another blog I added was the Happy pet blog.

Librarians using RSS can collaborate with teachers with the goal of students setting up their own feeds on current projects or ongoing subjects of study such as history or science, or just purely personal interest (astronomy, origami ...). Feeds can be an efficient way of teaching research and encouraging students to pursue their interests, both personal and academic.

No comments: