Sunday, July 6, 2008

Thing # 6

I approached Mappr with a lot of zeal since I browse a lot in google maps, but was a bit disappointed. It seemed weak and somewhat random. The idea is great, but much more extensive indexing and control is needed before it might really be viable. I do like the idea of a GPS device on cameras that give exact location, but how feasible would this be? A recent and fascinating addition to google maps is the street view option now available. I can spend hours there ...

The mosaic maker is interesting and attractive. At my elementary school, I could see kinder students using it to make images of farm animals in their farm unit, or homes in their homes and communities unit ...

By far the most interesting to me is all that is offered in Big Huge Labs. Here, the possibilities are limitless, from elementary up to high school. I especially liked the magazine cover maker. I can just see that being used in a fifth grade class when they are studying their American history. How much more interesting to make a magazine cover of George Washington or John Adams than a poster. It allows the students to get far more creative with their projects. This site is a great training ground for students interested in entering the field of graphic design. Art and photography students in high school and college have limitless possibilities in this site. If I were still an art student, the first thing I would go for would be the Warholizer.

No comments: