Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Thing # 23

1. My favorite activity was Big Huge Labs. After reading other bloggers' comments, this seemed to be a trend of picking that as the favorite. The site is just so much fun and the activities that are offered just make you want to play endlessly with them. If it is that much fun for an adult, think of the fun that students will have. I also enjoyed the "exploratory" expeditions such as in Thing # 18 (looking at Google Docs). It was fun to see these choices for the first time and then use higher learning skills to evaluate, compare and contrast.









2. I enjoy learning and exploring new things. One of my strongest personal interests is in Tudor history, and I was so pleased to discover and explore blogs that cover just this.









3. An unexpected outcome was learning how complex some of the image and picture generators could be. I consider myself fairly savvy in technical skills and matters, but I was challenged and had to retry many times with several of these programs.









4. To improve this program, I would recommend that you shorten it, or offer choices over which things to actually complete. Though all of the modules are valuable, it seems that a lot of people become overwhelmed and/or lost after slogging through the first 5-6 of them. Perhaps breaking it down into groups of ten would make finishing more attainable by shortening the distance to the goal post. Perhaps you should consider giving participants choices over what they want to complete, such as choose 12 out of the 23 things. There were definitely some, such as Technorati, that were just not my bag. I would have much rather invested my learning time in Big Huge Labs or Google Docs. I didn't get much out of Rollyo either. There's just too much material. When reading others' blogs, you see a pattern of frustration with getting certain things to work and then get uploaded to the blog in the correct manner. Many participants just stated that they tried and tried with certain programs, and just could not get them to perform.









5. I would not want to do this again very soon. This has been a journey and a lot of learning curve activity. One thought that runs continuously through my head is that all of these activities are cool and good to know, but they will be outdated and replaced by far more sophisticated and new versions probably within a year or so.









6. The agony and the ecstasy

1 comment:

VWB said...

Congratulations on completing your assignment.

I was so confused...this one came up in my reader today, but then I could not find it!

random order is ok ...it will confuse Players who will come to read your final thoughts and they aren't at the end!