Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thing # 14 Technorati

When I saw the name Technorati again, I was a little hesitant because I was not that impressed with it when I encountered it in a previous thing. I will need to approach it with an open mind. It reminds me of AOL. I don't always care for sites that look like they were designed for people with short attention spans.



When I did the search for school library learning 2.0, the blog section produced many more quality and relevant results. I found 19 blogs on July 17, all pretty much on target.



The posts section produced only three posts, but all relevant.



A general search of the blog directory produced 274 results, but that was your typical internet search with a lot of jumbled up results that had some of your search terms here or there, but was not really relevant to the need.



Popular blogs, searches and tags again reminds me of AOL, very populist.



Technorati can be of assistance to educators in two ways: by providing LOTS of tags and ideas for tags (after you sift through everything), and general browsing for information or enlightenment, though I find the amount of tabs to go through a bit time consuming.



The value of tagging information is, without question, invaluable. I think we are going to see a lot of inconsistency in the tags, but this is inevitable. In the end, though, the sheer volume of tags will hopefully cover any inadequacies and we will reach the bottom line: people will find the ideas, tags, and information that they are looking for.

No comments: